the Constituents of (Name of Riding)
I, (name) will serve as Member of Parliament for the Constituency of (Name of Riding) to the best of my ability and in so-doing:
- I will represent, defend and promote the national and regional interests and further the needs, welfare and interests of the constituents of (Name of Riding) wherever and whenever possible in a bi-partisan manner.
- In all actions I will be honest, open and accountable to the constituents of (Name of Riding) both in policy and monetary matters.
- I will help furnish and maintain good Government and Opposition so that the business of Parliamentary democracy may proceed.
- I will monitor, stimulate and challenge the Executive in order to influence and where possible change government action in ways which are considered desirable for the constituents of (Name of Riding).
- I will initiate, seek to amend and review legislation so as to help maintain a continually relevant and appropriate body of law.
- I will endeavor to keep the constituents of (Name of Riding) informed as to the general proceedings of Parliament relating arguments both for and against any and all proposed legislation.
- I will establish and maintain a range of contacts throughout the constituency, and gain proper knowledge of the characteristics, so as to identify and understand the issues affecting the constituency, the land and residents and, wherever possible, further the interests of the constituency of (Name of Riding) in general in accordance with the national needs of Canada which are seen to be relevant and important.
- I will serve on those committees which may be compatible with my expertise and where it may be possible to further the interests of the constituency of (Name of Riding) in general.
- I will provide appropriate assistance to individual constituents, through use of knowledge of local and national government agencies and institutions, to progress and wherever possible help resolve their problems and concerns in dealing with matters of government.
- I will contribute to the formulation of Government policy to ensure that it reflects the majoritive views of the constituents of (Name of Riding) in accordance with the national needs of Canada which are seen to be relevant and important.
- I will establish and maintain a constituency office in each community within the boundaries of the constituency of (Name of Riding) for the purpose of distribution of parliamentary information and for the aggregation of policy information from residents and for the convenience of constituents in dealing with Governmental matters and concerns.
- I am willing to be open to a performance review after two years as your representative to Parliament where if a 60% majority of voters in the Constituency of (Name of Riding) disagree with my performance as your Representative, I will step down as Member of Parliament for (Name of Riding).
My work as your Member of Parliament for the Constituency of (Name of Riding) may be seen under two broad headings. The first is work in and for the constituency. This is in part representational; in part promoting or defending the interests of the constituency as a whole; and in part it is designed to help individual constituents in difficulty. This is traditionally seen as the ‘core’ role of the parliamentarian. The second area is my participation in activities designed to assist in the passage of legislation and hold the Executive to account.
For Constituency: ______________________, ______________________